September 1916 – September 1917 – Rev. Edward H. Kiefer in charge of the Murrieta and Wildomar Methodist churches
January 7, 1917 – Elizabeth McNeill, daughter of John and Melva McNeill, was born. John McNeill is the town’s blacksmith.
January 12, 1917 – Silica quartz mines were discovered near Murrieta and were developed by Jean Laborde and the Trujillo brothers. Two cars of silica shipped this week to Los Angeles.
January 27, 1917 – Florencia Rodriguez of Murrieta, and Miss Stone of Oregon, were married in San Bernardino. The couple was living with Mr. and Mrs. Wilber Wickerd in Murrieta
February 4, 1917 – Ralph A. Miller, a son, was born to Arlie and Orpha Miller in Santa Ana
February 9, 1917 – A. C. Ames, aged 40 years, died at the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort. Interment was in Olivewood Cemetery in Riverside.
February 10, 1917 – The Stoner house on the Rail property burnt to the ground
February 13, 1917 – The Riverside County Farm Bureau is temporarily organized
February 19, 1917 – The Riverside County Fair Committee meeting was held at Murrieta Town Hall in order to plan a community exhibit. Committee officers elected were: John Beeler, president, Walter Thompson, assistant, George L. Black, secretary and treasurer
February 24, 1917 – Cement and a large carload of pipe was delivered by train to construct a reservoir above the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort.
February 24, 1917 – Temecula’s Woodman of the World lodge moved to Murrieta and merge with the Murrieta lodge
March 10, 1917 – Esther Kiefer and Fay Thompson, Campfire Girls, entertained their friends at the parsonage
March 17, 1917 – Rev. George Cocking, of Normal Heights, San Diego, moved his family back to Murrieta for the summer.
March 17, 1917 – St. Patrick’s Day dance held at the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort
March 20, 1917 – County Superintendent of Schools, Raymond Cree inspected the Murrieta Grammar School. He found three teachers in two overcrowded school rooms. He states that Murrieta needed a new school built. Miss Lela Vaught is principal, Miss Ruth Laswell is in charge of intermediate grades, and Mrs. Emma L. Laswell is teaching the primary grades.
March 24, 1917 – The Murrieta Farm Loan Association is formed, representing Temecula, Murrieta, Wildomar, and Auld.
March 31, 1917 – The Murrieta Farm Center is organized, representing Temecula, Murrieta, Wildomar, and Auld. Joseph V. Thompson elected farm center director. George L. Black, secretary and treasurer
April 5, 1917 – The Woodman of the World lodge held a box lunch social to raise funds for suits for the drill team
April 6, 1917 – America declares war on Germany
April 6, 1917 – M. W. Thompson elected trustee of the Murrieta School District
– Mrs. Pearl Roripaugh elected trustee of the Santa Gertrudis School District
April 11, 1917 – A surprise party was held for E. Hale Sykes’ seventeenth birthday.
April 13, 1917 – Mrs. Olive Miller celebrated her birthday with a dinner with friends
April 14, 1917 – Eugene Small enlisted in the Navy at San Diego. He was Murrieta’s first Liberty Boy
April 14, 1917 – John Beeler purchased a new bakery in Fallbrook, California
April 16, 2017 – One and one-eight inches of rain fell in Murrieta
April 17, 1917 – The Murrieta Historical Society held its monthly meeting. Officers elected for the coming year were Walter Thompson, president, Alfred Woodill, vice president, Harry Winter, Homer Wickerd, John Walter, and Cliff Anderson, trustees. George L. Black, historian.
April 18, 1917 – The Riverside County Farm Bureau is organized
April 20, 1917 – Ira Dunham, a son was born to Mr. and Mrs. John E. Dunham
April 21, 1917 – The Murrieta Methodist Church Sunday School held a May Day picnic at the old picnic grounds at the Santa Rosa Ranch
April 24, 1917 – Emergency Loan Act (First Liberty Bond)
April 26, 1917 – A president proclamation is issued for German residents to surrender their fire arms as an act of loyalty to America. Deputy John McNeill, of Murrieta, meets resistance when he attempts to enforce the act.
May 4, 1917 – The Ladies Aid Society held a social at the Murrieta Town Hall
May 15, 1917 – The first monthly meeting of the Murrieta Farm Center is held
May 15, 1917 – The Murrieta Historical Society held its monthly meeting
May 18, 1917 – The Murrieta Grammar School closed the school year
May 21, 1917 – Mrs. Galuska celebrated her seventh-fifth birthday
May 22, 1917 – The Riverside County Chamber of Commerce held its monthly meeting and dinner at the Fountain House Hotel in order to welcome the newly formed Murrieta Chamber of Commerce. Attendees then took an auto tour of Murrieta and visited the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort.
May 26, 1917 – Urban and Rose Tarwater moved into the Oliver Freeman house.
May 26, 1917 – The Campfire Girls of Murrieta and Wildomar had an entertainment at the Murrieta Town Hall
June 1, 1917 – The Red Cross county fundraiser began
June 4, 1917 – Elwood C. Wickerd, of Murrieta, joined the California National Guard Company M in Riverside.
June 5, 1917 – Registration Day for the draft for all men between the ages of 21 and 30. Registration was held at the Murrieta Town Hall. Registers were George L. Black, and Rev. Edward H. Kiefer. Forty-two men registered that day.
June 9, 1917 – William E. Burr, grain buyer for the Colton Globe Mills, sold 55,500 grain sacks at his Murrieta office. Henry S. Zimmerman, of Murrieta, was the warehouse manager.
June 22, 1917 – A canning demonstration was given at the Murrieta Farm Center
June 22, 1917 – A Red Cross benefit dance was held at the hall. $850 was contributed to the cause.
June 27, 1917 – William Bryant, Ira Rail, Phyrn Provolt, Esther Kiefer, and Fay Thompson were Eighth Grade graduates
June 28, 1917 – Ostrom & Hillis, evangelists, held an afternoon meeting in Murrieta
June 30, 1917 – The Thomas Bros rented the McCarty tract
July 24, 1917 – Rev. Edward H. Kiefer and his wife celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary
July 27, 1917 – The Murrieta Hot Springs Resort had 350 guests.
July 27, 1917 – A. K. Small & Co. built a new porch in front of their building
July 27, 1917 – A report is published stating that the average Murrieta school attendance was 58 in 1917 and 60 in 1916.
August 12 – Murrieta Hot Springs baseball team played the Riverside Colored Athletic Club at Arlington Park.
August 13 – 15 – First call of draft registrants from District 2 appear before the Board for examination
August 17, 1917 – A brush fire on the Santa Rosa Mountains
August 24, 1917 – Steven Wokvich files suit against Murrieta Hot Springs Resort for injuries sustained during a staircase collapse that occurred on August 25, 1916. He was seeking $1,650 for actual damages and $10,000 for punitive damages
August 25, 27 and 28, 1917 – Second call of draft registrants from District 2 appear before the Board for examination
September 5, 1917 – Third call of draft registrants from District 2 appear before the Board for examination
September 6, 1917 – Bids for a trestle bridge over the Hot Springs Creek was being accepted
September 11, 1917 – Four separate fires burn in the area. There is a fire near the Santa Rosa ranch and a fire in the hills north of Murrieta Hot Springs Resort
September 14, 1917 – Patrick Samaniego passed the Board examination and is drafted into military service.
September 19, 1917 – Patrick Samaniego boards a train in Riverside and travels to Camp Lewis, Washington for military training
September 20, 1917 – The Hot Springs Creek bridge contract was let to Bibb and Niemann for $1,998
September 24, 1917 – George Oscar Butler, 23, and his wife, 21 years old, were arrested in Los Angeles for robbing John Smith, a ranch hand from Murrieta Hot Springs. They stole $1,000.
September 29, 1917 – Miles W. Dodd exchanged his large landholdings for a Los Angeles hotel and other property valued at $60,000.
October 1917 – John Beeler closes the Murrieta Bakery
October 1, 1917 – Second Liberty Bond begins
October 9, 1917 – The Riverside County Fair opens. M. W. Thompson and committee install the Murrieta community exhibit. Murrieta was awarded second prize.
October 15, 1917 – Chris Laursen, a former resident and Murrieta barber, died in the Riverside hospital. His body was interred in Oakland, California.
October 16, 1917 – Rev. Cocking and family leaves Murrieta and he takes charge of the San Jacinto Methodist Church
October 19, 1917 – Oliver Freeman, resident of the Santa Rosa Mountains, began building a house on one of his lots in order to move his family into town.
October 19, 1917 – John McNeill and family moved to Huntington Beach, California
October 22, 1917 – Miss Emma F Bent, age 52, died at the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort. Interment was in Olivewood Cemetery in Riverside.
October 24, 1917 – Harold Dodd, son of Miles W. Dodd, exemption status was revoked
October 25, 1917 – Mrs. E. E. Barnett, of Temecula, died.
October 26, 1917 – Mrs. Blanch Thompson, and little daughter, May, of Murrieta and her father, J. W. Catt, of Wildomar, left for Fort Scott, Kansas for a two months’ visit with relatives and friends.
October 28, 1917 – A meeting was held at the school house to hear the proposal of constructing a road from Murrieta to Oceanside via the De Luz Valley.
October 30, 1917 – A. V. Wilson of Murrieta, charged with starting the fires that burned over 17,000 acres in the Cleveland reserve near Elsinore, was tried before a jury in Murrieta and found not guilty.
November 3, 1917 – George H. Griffis tore down his house and reconstructed it into a bungalow style. The house was formerly owned by Horace McPhee.
November 9, 1917 – The Temecula Valley Red Cross auxiliary to the Riverside chapter was organized at the Murrieta Town Hall the previous week. The organization included Wildomar, Temecula, Murrieta Hot Springs and surrounding country. One hundred and three people were in attendance. Rev. Edward H. Kiefer, chairman, Mrs. W. C. Anderson, secretary, Mrs. H. D. Smohl, of Auld, vice chairman, Miss Lizzie Wilks, of Wildomar, vice chairman, Mrs. George L. Black, of Murrieta, vice chairman
November 14, 1917 – Judge H. H. Craig, Lieut. Price and Rev. C. H. Emmons, all of Riverside addressed an audience at the Murrieta Town Hall on behalf of the Y.M.C.A. war fund
November 21, 1917 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting took place. Murrieta has 75 members.
November 23, 1917 – Members of the Murrieta Red Cross visited the Riverside headquarters
November 24, 1917 – The Baby Club held a social event at the Murrieta Town Hall. Eighteen dollars was raised for the Soldier’s Fund.
November 27, 1917 – Forty six wooden cots were donated to the Riverside County hospital by the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort
December 1, 1917 – Mr. Shoup began building a concrete house for his family north of town.
December 1, 1917 – Van Hale and family of Elsinore moved in with his sister, Mrs. Katie E. Sleeper, at the Fountain House Hotel.
December 8, 1917 – A food demonstration was given by Mrs. Malinda Woodworth at the Murrieta Town Hall
December 19, 1917 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting took place. Ninety-four people were in attendance.
December 19, 1917 – Ezra James Cocking, age 24, son of Rev. George Cocking, died in San Jacinto. Interment was in the Evergreen Cemetery in Riverside
December 21, 1917 – Word was received that J. W. Catt, of Wildomar, died at Fort Scott, Kansas. Funeral was held in Riverside.
December 24, 1917 – Leonard Smohl honored at a social event at the Alamos school house. He was assigned Company L, 160th U.S. Infantry, stationed at Camp Kearney, San Diego County. A Christmas furlough allowed him to attend the event.
December 24, 1917 – A Christmas program was given at the Murrieta Methodist Church. Eighteen dollars was collected and cabled to Israel for the starving children.
December 25, 1917 – Clifford Garinger, 23, married Marjory Wickerd, age 20, both residents of Murrieta at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Homer Wickerd, the bride’s parents by Rev. Edward H. Kiefer.
December 28, 1917 – The completion of the Hot Springs Creek Bridge was announced.
December 28, 1917 – Surveying and grading of the Murrieta to De Luz road had begun
September 1917 – September 1918 – Rev. Edward H. Kiefer in charge of the Murrieta and Wildomar Methodist churches
January 15, 1918 – The government announces that no more sailors would be recruited
January 16, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting was held. Eighty two people in attendance
January 18, 1918 – The Farm Bureau’s Home Economics department held a meeting in Riverside. Mrs. M. H. Thompson, of Murrieta, attended
January 27, 1918 – Murrieta Hot Springs guest, John. H. Behan, wandered into the hills and disappeared.
January 29, 1918 – The body of John H. Behan was found by a search party seven miles southeast of the Murrieta Hot Springs. The body was shipped to Marcus, Iowa.
February 6, 1918 – The Murrieta Red Cross met and was given their monthly work assignment.
February 9, 1918 – Miss Irene May Kolb, of Wildomar, married Mr. William Jackson Rooks, Jr., of Murrieta, in Riverside. Rooks was the Murrieta blacksmith at the time
February 14, 1918 – Agnes Contreras died and was interred at Pala.
February 17, 1918 – An inch of rain fell on Murrieta
February 18, 1918 – Adrian Barnett, little daughter of Ben and Bessie Barnett died and was interred in the Temecula cemetery.
February 19, 1918 – Former Murrieta resident Bob Freeman, of Colton, was interred in the Murrieta cemetery.
February 19, 1918 – The Murrieta Red Cross met at Guild Hall
February 20, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting was held. Thirty-seven people were in attendance due to the rain.
March 6, 1918 – Joseph V. Thompson announces at the monthly Farm Bureau Directors meeting in Riverside Murrieta’s plans to construct a grain elevator this year in response to the rise in grain sack prices
March 7, 1918 – On a rainy day, Joseph V. Thompson and a few representatives of the Riverside County Farm Bureau left for the Emergency Food Conference held at University of California, Berkeley, California
March 8, 1918 – Ida May Baughfman, age 26, of Murrieta, died and was interred in the Wildomar Cemetery
March 8, 1918 – On average, five airplanes fly daily over Murrieta Valley between San Diego and Alessandro
March 8, 1918 – Road construction on the Deluz Road is delayed due to rain
March 16, 1918 – The Young Married Women’s Club entertained their husbands with a banquet at Mrs. Blanche Thompson’s home
March 18, 1918 – Joseph V. Thompson returned to Riverside after the conference and a five day tour of farms, farm centers and farm bureaus in northern California.
March 19, 1918 – Joseph V. Thompson presents his trip report and findings at the monthly Farm Bureau Directors meeting in Riverside.
March 20, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting was held. Joseph V. Thompson presented his trip report and findings. Farmers approve to join the government’s Pig Campaign in order to increase California pork production.
March 21, 1918 – A Food Demonstration was given by Mrs. Malinda Woodworth at Town Hall.
March 23, 1918 – A special meeting of the Murrieta Farm Center was held to discuss the Squirrel Extermination Campaign
March 28, 1918 – An appropriation of $597.20 was made for repairs on the Barnett Bridge between Murrieta and Temecula.
March 29, 1918 – Harold V. Dodd, of Murrieta, boards a train in Riverside with other county liberty boys and travels to Camp Lewis, Washington for military training.
March 30, 1918 – The Murrieta Valley Elevator Company was formed. The company officers elected were: Joseph V. Thompson, president, H. E. Davis, secretary, Charles A. Auld, first vice president, Vernon James, second vice president, and John Walters, treasurer.
March 30, 1918 – The Murrieta Red Cross held a dance at the Alamos school house and auctioned off two quilts to raise money for the Red Cross fund.
April 1, 1918 – The Squirrel Extermination Campaign began in the Murrieta District
April 5, 1918 – The Third Liberty Bond campaign begins
April 17, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting was held. Fifty members were present. Joseph V. Thompson was re-elected as director. George L. Black, secretary, Glen Torbett, of Wildomar, A. B. Barnett, of Temecula, and M. W. Thompson, of Murrieta, vice chairmen. M. W. Thompson elected chairman of the community exhibit for the Riverside County Fair.
April 20, 1918 – A report was given that Eugene Small was injured onboard his ship when a wave crashed over the deck. He was expected to return home to recover from his injuries.
April 20, 1918 – Harry Winter’s sister, Mrs. Elsie Fogler visited from the east with her twin baby boys. One boy died on arrival.
April 20, 1918 – Urban Tarwater and Ray Wickerd are each building a residence
April 20, 1918 – Relatives of Dave Davis, former Murrieta resident, attended his funeral in Anaheim, California
April 20, 1918 – Louis Deering, of Murrieta, died and was interred in the Laurel Cemetery.
April 21, 1918 – The San Jacinto earthquake struck at 2:32 p.m. It is estimated at 6.7 magnitudes. The earthquake struck during the Deering funeral procession to the cemetery. Buggies and automobiles bump together during the shaking. The Fountain House Hotel’s three chimneys all suffered damage. The chimney at the Rev. Cocking cottage also sustained damage.
April 26, 1918 – A school entertainment was given at the Town Hall
April 27, 1918 – The Murrieta Red Cross Day at Elsinore
April 28, 1918 – The Murrieta Epworth League at Elsinore
April 29, 1918 – A movie is filmed around the Good Hope Mine in Elsinore. A few scenes are filmed in Murrieta.
May 3, 1918 – A. J. Sykes sold a car of last year’s barley hay at $27 per ton.
May 3, 1918 – The Murrieta Hot Springs received furniture and furnishings to make room for guests. Between 300 and 400 are anticipated to visit in the summer.
May 3, 1918 – Hugo Guenther, of the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort, reported that $50,000 had been subscribed for the Third Liberty Bond drive. Murrieta would be rewarded a blue star on their Liberty Flag.
May 4, 1918 – William Anderson, of Murrieta was appointed by the government as a licensed agent for explosives, dynamite and powder in the Murrieta Judicial District.
May 8, 1918 – H. B. Lashlee sold to Rex Swain, lots 9 to 12, block 19. These lots would be the future location of the Murrieta Grain Elevator.
May 12, 1918 – Rev. Edward H. Kiefer celebrated his 51st birthday
May 13, 1918 – Construction began this week on the Murrieta Grain Elevator.
May 17, 1918 – Urban and Rose Tarwater moved into their new residence on Washington Avenue.
May 17, 1918 – Henry Thompson and Harry Compton bored a well on Mrs. Small’s land near the cemetery and would begin building a residence for Mr. and Mrs. Compton, when the harvest was over.
May 17, 1918 – The Entre Nous Club met this week with Mrs. Alda Wickerd.
May 22, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center’s monthly meeting was held.
May 24, 1918 – The Murrieta Hot Springs Resort held a big Red Cross and patriotic meeting with a special concert featuring the 159th Infantry band. This was a celebration for the community’s fund raising efforts.
May 24, 1918 – The school year ended. School was closed for the summer. There was a school picnic on the Santa Margarita River.
June 5, 1918 – The Second Draft Registration occurred
June 8, 1918 – The Ladies’ Aid held a social at the hall. They raised $20.
June 10, 1918 – The 143rd Artillery on their return march to Camp Kearny, San Diego, were fed lunch by the Murrieta War Relief Council.
June 15, 1918 – In Riverside, the state railroad commission granted permission for the construction of the Murrieta Grain Elevator.
June 15, 1918 – Chester Small, son of A. K. Small, went to Riverside to join the Naval Reserve. He would be eighteen in January 1919.
June 19, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center’s monthly meeting was held.
June 26, 1918 – A. V. Wilson, of Murrieta, died in the Riverside hospital and was interred in the Laurel Cemetery.
June 29, 1918 – Quartz mined in Murrieta was being shipped by the carload.
July 3, 1918 – The Eighth Grade graduates were Mary Lillian Lambert, Albert Henry Small, and William Leslie Black
July 3, 1918 – A Murrieta group appeared before the Riverside County Chamber of Commerce asking for investors in the Murrieta Grain Elevator project.
July 18, 1918 – J. E. Roripaugh is listed as a candidate for constable for the Murrieta Judicial District.
July 19, 1918 – Construction had begun on the Murrieta Grain Elevator. Many gathered to watch the pouring of the first slab of concrete.
July 26, 1918 – K. F. Beyerle filed an application to operate an auto stage line between Murrieta Hot Springs and the county line via Temecula.
July 29, 1918 – Plans to construct a new unnamed bridge across a creek between Temecula and Murrieta Hot Springs had begun.
July 30, 1918 – Representatives of the Southern California Fair toured through Murrieta to promote the fair and to assess communities’ exhibit preparations.
July 30, 1918 – Mrs. Malinda Woodworth gave a food demonstration in Murrieta.
August 2, 1918 – A Red Cross benefit dance was held
August 3, 1918 – William Anderson was a candidate for Justice of the Peace
August 3, 1918 – The upcoming election was announced
Murrieta Voting Precinct
Polling Place – Town Hall
Inspector – Rev. Edward H. Kiefer
Judges – William E. Miller and George L. Black
Clerks – Blanch Anderson, Charles Hadsall, and G. W. Melton
August 7, 1918 – Mrs. Miles W. Thompson begins issuing sugar permits as part of the government program to ration sugar during the war.
August 9, 1918 – Rev. Edward H. Kiefer and family went on a vacation to the ocean and San Dimas.
August 19, 1919 – Lillian Edith Williams, age 60, wife of William M. Williams died and was interred in the Laurel Cemetery.
August 19, 1918 – Farm Director Joseph V. Thompson writes an open letter asking for the eradication of the Russian thistle, more commonly known as the tumbleweed.
August 20, 1918 – Mrs. A. Z. Hanlin is a register for student nurses in Murrieta.
August 24, 1918 – A supplemental draft registration occurred for those becoming 21 after June 5, 1918.
August 29, 1918 – Joseph V. Thompson’s son, Paul, is drafted into military service. He will be trained at Camp Kearny, San Diego.
August 30, 1918 – R. S. Smith wins over incumbent John Shaver, and is elected the Fifth District County Supervisor.
August 30, 1918 – Miss Frances Zumbro is the newly appointed teacher for the Murrieta Grammar School. Mrs. Emma Graham, of Elsinore, is appointed as principal.
September 3, 1918 – Paul H. Thompson leaves with 65 recruits for Camp Kearny, San Diego.
September 7, 1918 – Rex Swain sold lots 9 to 12 block 19 to the Murrieta Valley Elevator Company.
September 10, 1918 – The Murrieta Grammar School opened
September 12, 1918 – The Battle of St. Michel began in France
September 12, 1918 – A Third Draft Registration occurred for men between the ages of 18 and 45. Seventy-nine men registered. George L. Black and Benjamin W. Tarwater listed as registers.
September 13, 1918 – The grain elevator structure is completed. The next phase would be the installation of the machinery.
September 13, 1918 – The Murrieta Fair Committee announced that they would not be participating in the fair this year.
September 13, 1918 – Ray Wickerd, Jr. and crew were threshing beans in Wildomar this week.
September 13, 1918 – Rev. George Cocking and his wife were in Murrieta this week canning peaches.
September 18, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting was held.
September 21, 1918 – Murrieta representatives attended a picnic in Bonsall to hear plans for the completion of paving the Inland Highway in San Diego County.
September 26, 1918 – The Meuse-Argonne Offensive begins. Patrick Samaniego, of Murrieta, is wounded during the campaign
September 27, 1918 – Several families left Murrieta after the Davidson Construction Company of Los Angeles finished work on the grain elevator.
September 27, 1918 – A telephone call was received announcing the death of former Murrieta resident, James Hebel, who died when he was entangled in electrical wires where he was working.
September 27, 1918 – Billie and Eveyln Thorne shipped 11 ¾ tons of peaches to the Hemet cannery.
September 28, 1918 – The Fourth Liberty Bond campaign begins
October 1, 1918 – The Riverside County Women’s Club met and admitted the Murrieta Women’s Club, a.k.a. Entre Nous Club, into its organization.
October 5, 1918 – $59,750 had been subscribed in Murrieta to the Liberty Loan Drive
October 8, 1918 – The sixth annual Southern California fair was held October 8 to 12. A. K. Small sold family tickets of four for $1.
October 11, 1918 – June Thompson moved to Riverside to keep house for her siblings, Willis and Fay Thompson who were attending high school in Riverside.
October 11, 1918 – Rev. Edward H. Kiefer is assigned to the Murrieta/Wildomar churches for a fifth year.
October 13, 1918 – A county wide quarantine is implemented on all social gatherings in order to stop the Spanish Influenza epidemic.
October 15, 1918 – The Murrieta Farm Center monthly meeting is cancelled because of county wide Spanish Influenza quarantine on social gatherings.
October 17, 1918 – Murrieta subscribes 50 percent over allotment for the Fourth Liberty Bond Drive and earns a blue star on their Liberty flag.
October 26, 1918 – Henry Lansburger Wolfe, 34 year old waiter at the Murrieta Hot Springs died. Interment was in Butte, Montana.
October 28, 1918 – The Murrieta Hot Springs stage (automobile) overturned in Anaheim. Only one passenger aboard, but was not injured.
November 11, 1918 – Armistice Day: World War I comes to an end.
November 20, 1918 – The opening ceremonies of the Murrieta Grain Elevator are held.
November 21, 1918 – J. B. Nash, assistant state supervisor of physical education, instructs Murrieta teachers on the importance and implementation of physical education
November 21, 1918 – Wildomar reports its school as escaping the influenza so far, but Elsinore and Murrieta schools are hit hard by colds, grippe, etc.
November 27, 1918 – The Murrieta Grammar School had a Thanksgiving lunch. The students issue a newspaper called the Murrieta News.
November 28, 1918 – Mrs. Katie E. Sleeper, proprietor of the Fountain House Hotel, served a Thanksgiving dinner.
November 29, 1918 – The freight train only comes to Murrieta three times a week, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
November 29, 1918 – John Farthing moved from Elsinore to Murrieta and bought a team of horses and a cow. John Farthing and his wife will be Murrieta’s only African American residents for many years to come.
December 11, 1918 – Mrs. Arizona “Zona” Drake, 35 years old, resident of Antelope, died of the Spanish Influenza and was interred in the Laurel Cemetery.
December 13, 1918 – Miss Clara Coleman of Murrieta and William Hadden of Murrieta Hot Springs were married in San Bernardino and made their home at the springs.
December 13, 1918 – H. S. Garrison sold his olive crop and had a gang of Japanese picking them.
December 14, 1918 – Elwood C. Wickerd, of Murrieta, married former Murrieta teacher Lela G. Vaught, 23, of Riverside.
December 21, 1918 – The Entre Nous club had a supper at the hall to raise funds for the Belgians.
December 28, 1918 – After his discharge from Camp Kearny, San Diego, Paul Thompson, son of Joseph Thompson, fell off his tractor and the cultivator ran over him. Fortunately, he survived the accident.